Transport management services
Transport costs are a major factor in the logistics of global companies and therefore present enormous potential for optimisation. ebp-logistics streamlines logistical networks and, above all, transport concepts in compliance with defined specifications for delivery services to reduce transport costs with lasting effects. We provide a control tower function to operate supply chains efficiently and transparently in the long term. It is used to plan and control transports. We can either run this feature professionally for you ‘as a service’, or you can take charge of this task within a coaching model.
from the strategy to use of the control tower
- Requirements analysis for individual transport management
- Development of a strategy and roadmap to establish pinpoint transport management
- Design of an operating model to manage transports by means of a control tower
- Introduction of the control tower function for central transport scheduling and control
- Implementation of Sirius as our proprietary software solution for operating the control tower
- Operation of the control tower function and other transport management functions as a service from ebp-logistics
- We can provide support in the form of coaching if customers decide to run the control tower themselves.
- Establishment of a standard for freight cost controlling and freight invoice audits
the central function for planning and controlling transports
- Central transport planning and control for all modes (road/sea/air).
- Web-based management and reporting through the use of Sirius TMS
- Carrier management to control the deployed logistics service providers
- Online shipment tracing and status tracking
- Automatic identification of potential deadline deviations and deduction of proactive measures
- Yard management and dock scheduling
- Sirius TMS interfaces for the integration of ERP systems
- Dedicated special trip management with spot tendering
- Dashboards to visualise and monitor KPIs
Transport management software (TMS)
Value added through use of the proprietary software solution SIRIUS
- User-friendly and cost-efficient TMS application
- Powerful software functionalities to cover all control tower functions:
- Transport planning and control
- Consignment and deadline monitoring
- Forwarder management
- Transparency and event management
- Reporting and KPI analytics
- Yard and dock management
- Freight invoice audit
- Web-based collaboration platform to connect all transport partners
- Electronic data interchange (EDI)
- Application as a Service via the ebp-logistics control tower
- User operation within a combined licensing and coaching model
- Independent 4PL provider
- Competent transport management thanks to a large number of specialists with profound know how
- Innovative, practical solutions make transports and supply chains transparent
- We work to sustainably reduce transport costs
- Design of coordinated transport and logistics processes
- Innovative IT system (TMS) which is tailored to specific needs and operated at low cost
- 360 degree support, our staff work 24/7 and in multiple languages
From a transport management strategy to the control tower
Increasing transport volumes, from both land transport and overseas containers to the unpopular and very expensive air freight, and the current sharp rise in freight rates associated with this are prompting companies to prioritise cost-cutting measures. Moreover, the reliability and planability of transports are constantly decreasing, which threatens the security of supply and makes expensive additional stocks of items/materials necessary. Companies are therefore compelled to view transport management from a strategic perspective. The integral features of a transport management strategy include a clear understanding of targets with some elementary components, for example which ones need to be achieved and which criteria can be applied for their measurement. Transport concepts must be developed according to individual requirements and implemented with the necessary measures. It is also important to clarify from a strategic perspective whether transport management will be expedient and necessary going forward and whether running the Control Tower as a Service should be purchased from a 4PL provider.
Operational transport management – make or buy
Everything comes down to the question of ‘make or buy’ when building operational transport management. Should these functions be established at the company with the necessary dispatchers, logistics specialists and transport managers as a separate organisational unit or perhaps outsourced to an external 4PL provider? In most cases, the focus is not even on the entire 4PL scope of services, but mainly on the control tower function for the scheduled planning & control of transports. This should also be accompanied by standardised freight cost controlling and regular cost optimisation measures through freight repurchasing/transport re-tendering and the reorganisation of transport concepts. The question of whether or not these logistics activities are part of the company’s core competencies is a key factor in the make or buy decision. Above all, though, the benefits should outweigh the workload to a reasonable extent and the relevant staff should also possess the necessary expertise. It is also imperative to factor in that the transport management software must be powerful and suitable for use in a professional setting.
Transport management system – selection and use
At the heart of a transport management system is the control tower, which can only be operated using powerful software, namely a transport management system (TMS). The software must connect all transport partners (shippers, consignees, forwarders). It then uses smart functions to takes charge of planning and controlling the transports and visualising their status. This means that any transport order can be planned and processed by dispatchers. KPIs are collected and visualised in dashboards and analysed in reports. A high priority must be assigned to tracking the transport status and proactively identifying problems in deadline compliance. Here, users require support both in the recognition of these cases and in the management of contingency measures. In its SIRIUS TMS, ebp-logistics has a thoroughly proven, proprietary system that focuses on the essential functions and is efficient to operate. The web-based platform enables easy integration of all stakeholders and ensures that the necessary information is completely available at all times.